Oh how I love goal setting. But collecting goals is a completely different hobby than maintaining goals 😅
Now if you missed the mark in January, it's ok... because I did too lol
So we are starting fresh with Jon Acuff's actionable book on goal setting. And I know Atomic Habits is all the rage right now - BUT PLEASE - that book was published in 2018...
All It Takes is a Goal was published in 2023 - now that's what I call relevant!
🌞 Life List
Sometimes its annoying when authors ask you to do things. But this exercise I genuinely enjoyed. He asks you to write down the best things that have happened to you over the last 20 years. Then categorize them between (4) buckets:
- 🥇 Accomplishment - winning something you had to work towards
- 🏖️ Experience - a memory of something you experienced
- 💖 Relationship - a memory that involves experiencing something with someone else
- 🎁 Object - an physical object
I made my list in Notion:
Now notice what is not on your list?
* Cough cough * ... Men.
Ok, only kidding... But typically you will see very few objects. I noticed a ton of relationship and experience categories which shocked me.
🎯 Types of Goals
He also categorizes goals differently than most goal related books.
- 👍🏼 Easy goals - 1-7 days, not expensive, and should feel like they are not enough
- ⭐ Middle goals - 30-90 days, flexible
- For example there are 25 things that could count towards a writing middle goal like watching a show on writing, listening to a podcast on writing, or actually writing
- ✅ Guaranteed goals - 90-365 days, easy to measure, and should sound impossible
- These typically are "guaranteed" because the habit is formed by the time you reach this level of goal setting
Now I appreciate a man with a scorecard. Yes. Bring me the scorecards. I have been doing this for years. I have a YouTube Scorecard and I have a Work Skills Chart Scorecard:
Notice how its easy to see what my weekly goals are for 🎬 YouTube and only (5). Although I am thinking about removing the ones outside of my control. I can't really control things like Subscribers, Views, Revenue, and Watch Time.
This is a 💼 work scorecard focusing on the data software I want to master as the headers of the chart. Blue is expert, Green is proficient, Yellow is good, and Red is beginner. I was able to get out of all the reds at least!
I have been focusing on Power BI for the last 3-4 weeks now. I am 54% through the best course on Power BI that I could find by Leila Gharani - if she sounds familiar she has several million subscribers on YouTube.
Here is a 30% off discount code if you have stalked her course before - I was DYING to find a discount a few weeks back - but I ended up paying full price 😒
📖 Companion Reads
Any habit book will go great with this one. The GOAT is The Power of Habit which started the trend of all the habit books.
🎬 Full Video
If you wanted the full detail of my favorite tips from his book check out the full video on my YouTube channel 👇🏼